Unlike Cill Rialaig, the village of Dungegan was not primarily a fishing village, but mainly centred on trade. In 1886 it is recorded as having 3 shops and by the 1950s it had five.
The Church was built in the 19th Century It was the main centre of community life in Ballinskelligs with two dance halls and the Irish College which took place every summer.
St. Michael’s Well is close to the village. St. Michael’s feast day is on the 29th September. When the holy day took place, huge crowds would attend and the pilgrims stayed for two days. When the rounds were done at the well people rushed to join the celebrating. There was plenty of eating and drinking, courting and fighting in the Village. In the old days there were booths for the sale of drink and sweets. The card man would be there, and also a man selling toys. The day would be spent with sport and pastimes. Many people used to drink during the day, and would quarrel and sing at night. They used to compete with each other in throwing casts and jumping. Now there is only one Pattern day. (Seán O Conaill’s Book p.326)
‘Halla Pobail ‘ Ballinskelligs Community Centre, is at the centre of Dungegan and is home to many groups and organizations in our community.